Youngr’s versatile sound has gained attention from his one take youtube videos. He displays his musical skilll set by playing multiple instruments throughout his performances. The Manchester (United Kingdom) born artist is most known for his reimagination of Temper Trap’s “Sweet Disposition”. He is currently headlining his first North American tour. Youngr's  debut hit, “Out of my system” has reached over 18 million spotify streams to date. We chatted with the talent to get to know him a little more.

photo via twitter


Halfstack Magazine: How did you come up with the name, youngr?

Youngr: “It’s my middle name! believe it or not. My dad’s crazy! My brother came out first, two years before me and my dad thought younger would be a fitting name for me as a younger brother…I guess I chopped out 'e' to make it googleable.”

HM: What was it like to perform at south by southwest?

Youngr: “It was crazy, it was hectic, It was hot, warm. (We) did like 3 shows a day. It was cool. I really enjoyed my time there. It wasn’t as stressful as I thought it would be. The stressful bit was like after sound check. Like we get 20 minute sound check... it takes a lot longer than 20 minutes!


Halfstack Magazine: How do you want people to feel when they hear your music?

Youngr: “I want them to feel happy, and I want them to feel like everything’s cool. I want them to feel included. With my music I want them to feel like they’re there with me.  Yea, I guess it’s happiness and it’s good vibes. I want people to feel good.

HM: What does it feel to headline your first North American tour?

Youngr: “It feels fucking great! It feels like waking up naked in a king sized bed! That’s what it feels like. It’s super cool! I’m loving every moment of  it.”

HM: What’s your favorite city in the U.S?

Youngr: “My favorite city has actually been San Fransico. I don’t know if  that’s because I started the tour there and it was all new or  because the vibe or the energy was good. It was just a nice, pleasant experience.”


HM: What is the main difference between the U.K. and the U.S.?

Youngr: “In general all the portions are bigger. Everything’s bigger in America…The drinks are huge, everything’s huge!  I don’t know what’s going on, it’s crazy! …I find the fans to be a little bit crazier. I kind of like it. Everyone is little unhinged and a little wild here.”


photo via instagram

HM: What’s the biggest perk about touring?

Youngr: “I guess it’s all the free alcohol you get everyday. It’s great! Free bottle of rum, some champagne, beer. It’s nice! Makes life a little bit more hazy.


HM: What is the first instrument you learned how to play?

Youngr: “It was the drums! I was fascinated with the drums as kid.  Then I went on to learn the piano. But yea, drums is my first love. “

HM: What was it like to grow up in a musical household with your father?

Youngr: “It was fantastic. I got real insight into music without really realizing it.  I was maybe too young to consciously listen to music. I always had James Brown , and Prince and Michael Jackson playing…without even knowing it . I kinda grew up  with all that music in me, I think.”

HM: Do you have any secret talents?

Youngr: “If I eat couscous I can spit it out my nose…one time I ate a cherry too fast and the skin came out my nose!”

HM: What’s something that you would like the world to know about you?

Youngr: “Apart from being able to spit things out my nose. Um….I still got retainers in the back of my teeth.

HM: What is your dream collaboration?

Youngr: “ Justin Beiber! You telling me he’s an idiot but he’s got a really pretty face!




Watch Youngr's debut single "Out of My System" here: 



Post a Comment

 
Top